Kellyís Directory of Cornwall 1889
MOUNT HAWKE is an ecclesiastical parish near the seacoast, formed July 14, 1846, from the parishes of St Agnes in Truro union, and Illogan in Redruth union, and is 4 miles north from Redruth, and 2 north from Scorrier Gate station on the West Cornwall section of the Great Western railway, in the North Western division of the county, hundred of Pyder, petty sessional division of Powder West, county court district of Truro for the portion taken from St Agnes, and Redruth for that portion taken from Illogan, rural deanery of Carnmarth, archdeaconry of Cornwall and diocese of Truro.
The church of St John the Baptist is a structure of local stone, with Bath stone dressings, in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a turret containing one bell; there are sittings for 300 persons. Attached is a school and mission room. The register dates from the year 1846. The living is a perpetual curacy, net yearly vale £204, with residence, in the gift of the Crown and the Bishop of Truro alternately, and held since 1879 by the Rev. John Dungey.
There are Wesleyan chapels at Mawla, Mount Hawke, Skinnerís Bottom and Porth Towan: Bible Christian chapels at Wheal Rose and a Primitive Methodist chapel at Skinnerís Bottom.
The cemetery of 2 acres, formed in 1877 at a cost of £500, is under the control of the St Agnes Burial Board.
The principal landowners are Viscount Falmouth DL, JP, Lord Robartes DL JP, Francis Gilbert Enys esq. DL JP of Enys, St Gluvias, Joshua Sydney Davey esq. JP of Bochym, Cury, and Mrs Williams.
The soil is very varying: subsoil spar: the chief crops are wheat, oats, and barley. The ecclesiastical parish comprises 3,500 acres. The population in 1881 was 1424.
POST OFFICE - Charles Garland, receiver. Letters arrive through Scorrier RSO at *.30 am and are dispatched at 4.10 pm & on Saturdays at 10 pm for Sunday. Scorrier is the nearest money order and telegraph office. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid.
Board School (mixed) under the St Agnes School Board: built in 1874, for 250 children: average attendance 45 boys, 40 girls, & 20 infants
CARRIER TO REDRUTH Ė J L Williams, fri & TRURO wed & sat
|Last update 1st May 2007|