Kellyís Directory of Cornwall 1914
MOUNT HAWKE is an ecclesiastical parish near the seacoast, formed July 14, 1846, from the parishes of St Agnes in Truro union, and Illogan in Redruth union, with a halt on the Perranporth and Newquay rail motor service of the Great Western railway and is 5 miles north from Redruth, in the North Western division of the county, hundred of Pyder, petty sessional division of Powder West, county court district of Truro for the portion taken from St Agnes, and Redruth for that portion taken from Illogan, rural deanery of Carnmarth, archdeaconry of Cornwall and diocese of Truro.
The church of St John the Baptist, erected in 1878, at a cost of £1,400, is a structure of local stone, with Bath stone dressings, in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a turret containing one bell; there are sittings for 250 persons. Attached is a school room. The register dates from the year 1846. The living is a vicarage, net yearly vale £190, with residence, in the gift of the Crown and the Bishop of Truro alternately, and held since 1900 by the Rev. John Ching Barfett.
There are Wesleyan chapels at Mawla, Mount Hawke, Skinnerís Bottom and Porth Towan: a United Methodist chapel at Wheal Rose and a Primitive Methodist chapel at Skinnerís Bottom.
The cemetery of 2 acres, formed in 1877 at a cost of £500, is under the control of the St Agnes Burial Board.
In the village is a literary institute.
The principal landowners are Maj-Gen. Viscount Falmouth KCVO CB, Viscount Clifden, Rev. E H Enys. MA of Enys, St Gluvias, John Williams esq. Of Scorrier, A F Bassett esq. Of Tehidy, R F Bolitho esq. and Miss Jago.
The soil is very varying: subsoil spar: the chief crops are wheat, oats, and barley. The ecclesiastical parish comprises 3,500 acres. The population in 1911 was 1228.
POST OFFICE Ė Mrs Mary Chynoweth, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive through Scorrier at 7.35 am and 2.05 pm Sundays 7.35 am ; dispatched at 11.45 am & 5.15 pm ; Sundays 12 noon. Blackwater is the nearest money order, St Agnes the nearest telegraph office.
Wall Letter Boxes Ė Towan Cross, cleared at 4.35pm & Skinnerís Bottom, 5.25 pm weekdays only
Public Elementary School (mixed & infants) built in 1874, for 250 children: average attendance 115; Edward James Oats, master.
This school is under the control of the Redruth and Camborne Education Committee : William Mead Burchell BSc Clinton Road, Redruth, clerk
|Last update 1st May 2007|