St Agnes 1856

Up  

Post Office Directory of Cornwall 1856

ST AGNES or ST ANN’S, formerly called Breanick is a large parish and market town, bounded on the east by Perranzabuloe and Kenwyn, on the south by Gwennap, on the west by Redruth, and on the north by the sea. It is called St Ann’s, so that it may be distinguished from St Agnes, one of the Scilly Isles.

St Agnes Church Town, which is distant 8 miles north-west from Truro, 6 south from Redruth, and 267 miles from London, contains a number of houses. The parish comprises 8,660 statute acres, and, according to the return of the last census, in 1851, contained 6,674 inhabitants. It possesses but little importance as a seaport, the harbour being nearly choked up with sand. At the Church Town is held a weekly market on Thursday, for the sale of all sorts of wares: and a fair for cattle is held yearly, on the 30th of April.

The parish of St Agnes is situtated in the Hundred of Pyder, Truro Union, and western division of the county, in the deanery of Pyder, archdeaconry of Cornwall, and bishopric of Exeter. The church of St Agnes consists of a nave and chancel, with a spire and bells. The chapelries of Mithian and Mounthawke are formed in part out of the parish of Perranzabuloe: and there once existed a chapel at Dingle Combe, near to the sea side. Off the coast are the rocks called ‘The Cow and Calf’ or ‘Man and his Man’.

The benefice is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter: the Rev. Alexander Allen Vawdrey is the incumbent. The Rev. William Richards was vicar of the united parishes of St Agnes and Perranzabuloe in the reign of Queen Anne, after which the Rev. James Walker held the living for many years.

On 3rd February 1830 a fearful accident occurred at the United Hills Mine in this parish, by the bursting of an engine boiler: nine were killed on the spot, or died shortly afterwards, out of thirteen persons who were on the premises at the time of the accident.

Nicholas Kent of Mongoose, by his will bearing date 1688 gave, for the term of 499 years, a dwelling house divided into four tenements, and a garden, for poor widows of this parish. Here are chapels for Wesleyans and Independents, and a National school for boys and girls.

In the year 1632 an attempt was made to form a harbour at Trevaunance, and after repeated failures the effort was resumed in 1710. The Tonkin family, at a very great cost, said to be about £6,000, renewed the attempt, and their labour was so far successful that it remained nearly a century: some parts having become decayed, the work was again undertaken in the year 1794, by a company of gentlemen, by whom a pier of moorstone was erected, at a cost of £10,000.

This place was formerly the property and residence of Thomas Tonkin Esq., the annotator on "Carew’s Survey of Cornwall" and author of the parochial history of the county. From this place a considerable trade is carried on with Ireland and Wales. A pilchard fishery was established here, but it has not proved very profitable.

The celebrated Opie, son of a carpenter, was born here: his genius for painting soon became perceptible to Dr. Wolcot (Peter Pindar) who was so highly gratified with his juvenile attainments in the art, that he took him to London, where he much distinguished himself as an artist: he also possessed great literary ability, and was the author of the "Life of Reynolds" published in Dr. Wolcot’s edition of "Pilkington’s Dictionary". He afterwards published a letter in a daily paper "The True Briton" entitled "An Enquiry into the Requisite Cultivation of the Arts of Design in England". In this he proposed a distinct plan for the formation of a National Gallery, tending at once to exalt the arts of his country and immortalise its glories. To this he appended his name, in consistence with the openness of his character, which at all times distinguished his actions. He afterwards was elected professor of painting at the Royal Academy. Mr Opie however, still retained his rough manners and simplicity of character, long after his introduction into polished society: he died in the year 1807.

At Trevaunance clay works are carried on, and there are several good mines in the parish. At St Agnes is a high hill, called St Agnes Beacon, of singular geological character: it rises pyramidically nearly 600 feet above the level of the sea, having on its summit three barrows, and commanding extensive views. In a large entrenchment, called the Gorres, a gold coin of Valentinian was ploughed up. Borlase particularly describes the extraordinary stratification of this stupendous mountain, as deserving the attention of the geologists.

At the Church Town is a National school for girls and boys, and in the hamlet of Mounthawke is a chapel of ease: the Rev. Edward Hamilton M.A. is the curate. Here is a Mechanics’ Institute, Odd Fellows’ Lodge and Tradesmen’s Club.

The following hamlets re in the parish of St Agnes:- Mounthawke, Peterville, Mingoose, Gwanvrea, Wheal Butson, Wheal Rose, Skinner’s Bottom, Silver Well, Gwolbell, Gwonown, Gwonlaze, Mithan, Trevellas, and a portion of the hamlet of Blackwater.

Near Scorrier, at a spot called "Kyvere Ankow" signifying "the place of death" (because there they buried, in an unhallowed grave, those who had committed suicide), the four parishes of Gwennap, Redruth, Kenwyn and St Agnes, and the four hundreds of Pyder, Powder, Kerrier and Penwith, meet.

Gentry

Boundy, Mrs Jane

 

Church Town

Evans, Mrs Sophia

 

Trevaunance

Hamilton, Rev. Edwd. M.A.

 

Church Town

Hitchins, Martin Tredennick esq.

 

Quay

Lamerton, Mr George

 

Peterville

Limbrick, Mr John

 

Church Town

Prout, Mr James

 

Vicarage

Robinson, Lieut. R.N.

 

Vicarage

Tregellas, Mr Elisha

 

Vicarage

Vawdrey, Rev. Alexander Allen M.A.

 

Trevaunance House

Waters, Mr James

 

Church Town

Whitworth, Mr Henry

 

Church Town

Traders

Andrew, John

Boot & shoe maker

Mounthawke

Andrew, Richard

Farmer

Blackwater

Angwin, Richard

Farmer

Wheal Butson

Angwin, Thomas

Grocer & postmaster

Vicarage

Argall, Jane (Mrs)

Red Lion

Quay

Argall, Philip

Boot & shoe maker

Peterville

Argall, Wm. Hy.

Victory

Towan Cross

Bawden, Thos

White Hart

Church Town

Bennett, Nathaniel

Farmer

Silver Well

Blackney & Edwards

Grocers & tea dealers

Blackwater

Blenkinsop, Thomas

Agent to M T Hitchins, Quay

Vicarage

Bond, John

Farmer

Blackwater

Boundy, Capt. William

Mine agent & steward to Humphrey Willyams esq. of Truro

Mounthawke

Bryant, Nicholas

Farmer

Beacon

Carter, Richd.

Master mariner

Peterville

Carter, Thomas

Mine agent

Peterville

Challaw, Simon

Farmer

Mawla

Chegwin, Thomas

Farmer & grocer

Towan Cross

Chynoweth, Benj.

Clay mercht.

Vicarage

Chynoweth, William

Chiverton Arms

Two Burrows

Clyma, Joseph

Beer retailer

Wheal Rose

Cock, John

Farmer

Banns

Courtis, Wm.

Shopkpr.

Skinner’s Bottom

Cowling, James

Farmer

Gwanvrea

Craze, Rich.

Spread Eagle

Blackwater

Dabb, Melchisedeck

Farmer

Skinner’s Bottom

Dabb, William

Farmer

Goosagwartha

Daddow, John

Farmer

Beacon

Dale, Jas.

Grate manufacturer

Peterville

Dale, William

Painter

Peterville

Dark, Jas.

Master mariner

Church Town

Davies, John

Mine agent

Church Town

Doble, Jane (Mrs)

Schoolmistress

Church Town

Dunstan, Nichols

Mine agent

Trevaunance

Dunstan, William

Farmer

Gwanvrea

Edwards, James

Shopkeeper

Peterville

Edwards, Richard

Farmer

Blackwater

Edwards, Richard

Farmer & butcher

Penwinnick

Endean, Thomas

Boot & shoe maker

Church Town

Ennor, Edward

Farmer

Silver Well

Evans, Francis

Mine agent

Vicarage

Evans, Frederick

Mine agent

Vicarage

Evans, John

Ironfounder

Hammer Mill, Trevaunance

Garland, James

Linendraper & grocer

Mounthawke

Garland, Richard

Farmer

Mounthawke

Garland, William Henry

Druggist

Mounthawke

Gay, Amos

Farmer

White street

George, Joseph

Blacksmith

Blackwater

George, Stephen

Farmer

Wheal Butson

Gill, Francis

Grocer & linendraper

Mounthawke

Gill, Joanna (Mrs)

Shopkeeper

Wheal Rose

Goldsworthy, James

Shopkeeper

Skinner’s Bottom

Goyne, John

Grocer & linendraper

Mounthawke

Goyne, William

Tinplate worker

Church Town

Gribben, Joseph

Shopkpr.

Mounthawke

Gripe, Arthur

Mine agent

Peterville

Gripe, James

Mine agent & shopkeeper

Church Town

Gripe, James jnr.

Printer

Church Town

Hancock, John

Mine agent

Peterville

Hancock, Joseph

Boot & shoe maker

Peterville

Harper, John

Farmer

Ivy chimney

Harper, Samuel

Farmer

Mawla

Harris, Edward

Shop keeper

Vicarage

Harris, James

Farmer

Banns

Henwood, James

Master mariner

Church Town

Hitchins, Martin Tredennick

General merchant

Quay

Hooper, James

Linendraper & grocer

Blackwater

Hooper, William

Farmer

Silverwell

Hugo, George

Farmer

Rosemundy

James, John

Farmer

Wheal Rose

James, Robert

Farmer

Wheal Butson

James, Thomas

Butcher

Mounthawke

James, Thomas

Engineer

Vicarage

James, Timothy

Schoolmaster

Vicarage

Jenkins, Richard

Carpenter

Mounthawke

Johns, John

Academy

Blackwater

Julian, Thomas

Farmer & mine agent

Gwanvrea

Keast, Sampson

Mine agent

Gwanvrea

Kivern, Joseph

Shopkeeper

Vicarage

Knight, William

Shopkeeper

Vicarage

Landsworth, Philip

Grocer & linendraper

Peterville

Lane, Hannah (Mrs)

Schoolmistress

Wheal Rose

Langdon, John

Mine agent

Towan Cross

Langdon, William

Farmer

Mingoose

Letcher, Elizabeth (Mrs)

Farmer

Wheal Butson

Letcher, James

Farmer

Wheal Butson

Letcher, John

Shopkeeper & farmer

Wheal Rose

Letcher, Walter

Watch & clock maker

Church Town

Libby, Henry

Red Lion

Mounthawke

Libby, John

Grocer & linendraper

Mounthawke

Limbrick, John

Surgeon

Church Town

Lockett, Richard

Blacksmith

Vicarage

Lowrey, John

Farmer

Gover

Martin, Philip

Farmer

Peterville

Martin, Stephen

Farmer

Higher Bal

Merryfield, John

Farmer

Wheal Rose

Mitchell, Abraham

Greengrocer

Towan Cross

Morcom, Michael

Mine agent

Rosemundy

Nance, James

Tin merchant

Vicarage

Nankivell, Edward

Farmer

Silverwell

Nankivell, John

Master mariner

Church Town

Nankivell, Thomas

Miller

Mounthawke

Nettle, James

Schoolmaster

Mounthawke

Nettle, John

Tailor

Mounthawke

Newton, Joseph

Land agent

Church Town

Newton, Richard jun.

Registrar of births and deaths

Church Town

Newton, Richard sen.

Mine agent

Church Town

Oates, Hugh

Tailor

Blackwater street

Opie, Edward & sons

Druggists

Church Town

Opie, Edward

Maltster

Church Town

Opie, John

Druggist

Church Town

Osborne, Sampson

Farmer

Wheal Rose

Parnell, William

Farmer

Peterville

Paull, Joanna (Mrs)

Ship & Castle

Trevaunance

Pearce, John

Commercial hotel

Church Town

Pearce, Richard

Plume & Feathers

Church Town

Penrose, Edward

Hatter

Vicarage

Peters, Ann (Mrs)

Farmer

Beacon

Peters, Elizabeth (Mrs)

Farmer

Beacon

Phillips, Edward

Farmer

Vicarage

Phillips, William

Beer retailer & shopkeeper

Blackwater

Pope, Matthew

Master mariner

Church Town

Powning, Elizabeth (Mrs)

Linendraper, grocer & farmer

Blackwater

Prout, Fanny (Mrs)

Blacksmith

Peterville

Prout, Jane (Mrs)

Peterville inn

Peterville

Prout, John

Blacksmith

Peterville

Pryor, James

Farmer

Blackwater

Pryor, John

Farmer

Skinner’s Bottom

Pryor, William

Farmer

Blackwater

Richards, William

Grocer & linendraper

Mounthawke

Rickard, Richard

Shoemaker

Vicarage

Rilstone, Richard

Tailor & woollendraper

Vicarage

Rilstone, Richard

Tailor

Vicarage

Rob, William

Farmer

Mingoose

Roberts, Sampson

Shopkeeper

Vicarage

Rodda, John

Farmer

Menagissey

Rogers, James

Linendraper & grocer

Church Town

Rowe, Wm.

Shopkeeper

Church Town

Rowse, Isaac

Farmer

Rosemundy

Rowse, Saml.

Tin merchant

Rosemundy

Rowse, Thomas

Watch & clock maker

Vicarage

Sampson, John Martin

Carpenter

Skinner’s Bottom

Sandoe, John

Tailor

Church Town

Skinner, Sarah (Mrs)

Shopkeeper

Skinner’s Bottom

Sleeman, Wm.

Victoria

Peterville

Stephens, Alexander

Miners Arms & rate collector

Mingoose

Stephens, Jn.

Mine agent

Church Town

Stephens, Mary (Mrs)

Farmer

Rosemundy

Stephens, Mary Ann (Mrs)

Shopkeeper

Blackwater

Stephens, Rebecca (Mrs)

Shopkeeper

Vicarage

Stribley, Henry

Carrier

Church Town

Symons, John

Carpenter

Blackwater

Symons, Wm.

Beer retailer

Blackwater

Symons, Wm.

Beer retailer

Wheal Rose

Taylor, Mary (Mrs)

Shopkeeper

Vicarage

Tonkin, John

Farmer

Towan

Trebilcock, Francis

Carpenter

Vicarage

Tredenick, Stephen

Shopkeeper

Church Town

Treeman, John

Greengrocer

Blackwater

Tregellas, John

Farmer

Church Town

Tregellas, Josiah

Tailor & draper

Church Town

Tregellas, Thomas

Blacksmith

Vicarage

Tregellas, Thomas

Smiths Arms

Vicarage

Tremain, John

Farmer

Blackwater

Tresidder, James

Red Lion

Blackwater

Trevellan, Henry

Cornish Arms

Wheal Rose

Uren, Jane (Mrs)

Shopkeeper

Wheal Rose

Vivian, William

Ironfounder

Gwonlaze

Walters, Henry

Farmer

Menagissey

Walters, Henry

Miller

Mawla

Walters, Mary (Mrs)

Miners’ inn

Mawla

Waters, John

Farmer

Gwanvrea

Waters, John

Farmer

Ivy chimney

Waters, Josiah

Farmer

Gwanvrea

Waters, William

Mine agent

Vicarage

Whitworth, Henry, M.D.

Surgeon

Church Town

Williams, Anthony

Farmer

Mingoose

Willoughby, Oliver

Farmer

Blackwater

Williams, Robert

Farmer

Mingoose

Williams. Robert

Farmer & mine agent

Towan Cross

POST OFFICE, Church Town. – Thomas Angwin, sub post master. Letters arrive from Truro at ½ past 3 pm & are dispatched thereto at ½ past 8 per messenger. Money orders are granted and made payable at this office.

INSURANCE AGENTS

British Provident Life & Fire, John Johns

Briton Life, N Bryant

Clerical & Medical Life & Phoenix Fire, Thomas Blenkinsop, Vicarage

Globe, Thomas Martin

London Assurance, John Goyne

National Live Stock, John Goyne jun.

Sun Life & Fire, Richard Newton, Church town

Travellers & Marine, Thomas Blenkinsop

PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS

Mechanics’ Institute, Church Town, Richard Newton president: John Goyne, secretary: Richard Martin, treasurer

Odd Fellows’ Lodge, held at the White Hart, Church Town

Tradesmen’s Club, Smiths’ Arms, Vicarage, Richard Newton, president & trustee

PUBLIC OFFICERS

Registrar of Births & Deaths for the Parish of St Agnes, Richard Newton, Church Town

Medical Officer to St Agnes district of the Truro Union, John Henry Lambrick, Church Town

PLACES OF WORSHIP

Wesleyan Chapel, Revs. Humphry Trehewey & Frederick Haine, ministers

Independent Chapel, Rev. Richard Whetter, minister

National School (for boys & girls) Timothy James, master

CARRIERS TO TRURO

James, Stribley & Bray from the church town, wednesday & saturday, returning same days; Libby, from Mounthawke, wednesday & saturday, returning same days.

 

   
   
Last update 1st May 2007